Monday, December 15, 2008

It's Christmas

- Family Traditions -
Michelle and I give one another a full stocking, rather than a single "big" present, at Christmas. This year we are traveling to Alberta to be with my family, so we've started opening our little gifts early. One of my favorite things about Michelle is how excited she gets about life in general, and presents and holidays and Disneyland specifically. Especially Disneyland and presents. Her excitement is contagious, and as a result I'm really amped.

The best part of my stocking this year is that Michelle made such an effort to be environmentally aware and conscientious about the presents she got me. I have 7 little gifts, and all but one of them was made outside China. Not an easy task. What's more, fully four of them were purchased used! It really means so much to me that she did that. So what was my first little present? A pair of reflective ankle straps (made in France), for keeping my pant legs from getting caught in the chain ring when I bike to work.

- Christmas Reading -
In other news, I'm taking two weeks off this Christmas and really looking forward to lazy days at my parents' place. I always overestimate the amount of reading I'll actually get to do on vacation, and this time will be no different. I'm going to either pick up Treasure Island or The Count of Monte Cristo, in addition to Steiner's Portage. Chances are I won't crack any of them, but you gotta aim high, right?

It occurs to me that I asked for books for Christmas... I'm gonna have some heavy suitcases on the road home.

1 comment:

katie said...

Jared,
You are awesome! I love reading your blog & find inspiration as well as some intersting food for thought and some laughs too. I love reading about what people are thinking & feeling inspired about...so thanks for posting your thoughts. You & your adorable wife are two of my most favorite people in the whole wide world. I have to say one of my most favorite things about both you & Michelle is your excitement & curiosity about every little thing. It's a breath of fresh air & SO FUN. Have a wonderful christmas in Alberta!
Love,
Katie