Saturday, October 25, 2008

Political Reflections

As you may or may not know, I'm fairly sure I'll be voting for Obama in the upcoming election. I have to say, I'm a sucker for what people are calling his "rhetoric". Take this article, for example, particularly the last paragraph. It's been brushed aside as the ability to read from a teleprompter, but I think it's more than that. I believe there is power in the spoken, and written, word. I have for some time admired another rhetorical politician - Winston Churchill. His words, I believe, single handedly willed the English people onward in their resistance and endurance of the Nazi onslaught. Actually, if anyone is interested in a good Christmas gift for me, I would love a collection of Winston Churhill's speeches and public addresses.

Over the last week or so I've had some reservations about voting for Obama. Call it buyer's remorse, or second guessing, or whatever. First of all, I got an email forward about how Jesus revealed to somebody that he was going to pull the shroud back on the evil practice of abortion. Accordingly, this individual sent out a video, which I chose not to watch, but which apparently included footage of aborted babies, etc. I'm fairly sensitive to graphic stuff like that, so the suggestion alone made me feel guilty, like a vote for Obama was a vote for killing babies. But then I remember something he said. I'm paraphrasing: "I'm not pro-abortion; no one is pro-abortion. We need to teach our kids abstinence; that's the best option. Second, we know not everyone will chose abstinence, so we need to teach safe sex. And finally, and most importantly, parents need to take a greater role in their children's lives, including teaching and helping their kids to understand their sexuality." Again, I'm paraphrasing. He said something along those lines during one of the debates. A well-reasoned position. I really like that on several occasions he has challenged parents to take more responsibility for the lives of their children, suggesting that many of the societal ills can be righted by proper parenting. I agree with that. I also remembered that I voted for Bush in 2004 based on abortion, and it doesn't seem to have had much impact on the issue. In fact, none at all that I can see.

Maybe Obama's just a windbag. But he's an inspirational windbag, and I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who can bring out the best in others. And I think that's a very important quality in a leader.

2 comments:

Luke Barbie & Baby Beck said...

Hey Bro. Just wondering how you ended up voting? I am on a ywam bace with a bunch of americans from montana who were quite convinced that if Obama got in then it would be really really bad. I was just wondering what your take on it is. I know that he is pretty libberal and is pro abortion which is freaky but stranger things have happend with rulers and God before you know what I mean? We spent hours in prayer for the US here and the election so just wanted to know what your thoughts are and how the heck your doing? Peace.

Jared said...

Hey Luke,

First of all, good to hear from you! I heard that you were heading for ywam, and I check your blog every now and then.

I ended up voting for Obama - I'm not sure it was right, but it seemed to me to be the best option. I disagree with his position on abortion, but I agree with him in a lot of other areas. But issues took a backseat to temperament for me; Obama seemed measured, cautious, and slow to speak. He also presented a positive vision of what America could be. And he didn't deliberately try to mislead people as blatantly as his opponent did.

Practically speaking, I think Obama will be too busy with other issues to focus on abortion. I read an article today that talks about the implications if he chose to make abortion a big issue - check it out here.

I will be disappointed if he tries to take the country to the left on social issues, but I think he'll be smart enough not to. I'm praying for him more than I have for any other President.

Are you guys going to be in Red Deer over Christmas? I think we will - maybe I'll see you then.